Friday, September 13, 2013

Straight From the Mouth of 'Lion's Head Deception' Chuck Waldron


Chuck Waldron’s latest novel, Lion's Head Deception, is a dystopian story about an investigative blogger who uncovers more than he ever imagines...and has no idea what to do with his discovery.

An investigative blogger uncovers a sinister conspiracy, a billionaire's plan backed by select government officials, designed to exterminate citizens who do not live up to a predetermined screening matrix; under the guise of rioting and a destabilized city, the plan is implemented and the blogger fights not only to discover and reveal the truth, but to survive.

"I grew up," Chuck said, "listening to my grandfather, an Ozark Mountain story teller, spinning tales of the caves on his farm, describing them as hiding places once used by the Jesse & Frank James' gang. It didn't matter if the stories were true or not. Those legends set fire to my imagination, creating images that emerged slowly over the years, finally igniting as my short stories and novels."

Now, thirty-plus short stories and three novels later, ideas keep coming, with more novels under development. Do they share anything in common? Each has its own unique voice and tale to tell, yet, at their heart, his stories tell about the human condition - the good, the bad and the ugly.

As Chuck tells it, "stored images that echo in my writing include train whistles in the night, Norman Rockwell childhood scenes, U.S. Army memories, blue collar jobs, university, a professional career, and finally retirement. Many of my images are drawn from this pool of memories: places visited, sights seen, and people met. The rest I fill in with my imagination: dreams of places yet to be visited, sights yet to be seen, and people yet to meet."

His literary roots were planted in the American Midwest and thrived when transplanted to the rich, cultural soil of Ontario. He and his wife, Suzanne, are now warmed by the sun on Florida’s Treasure Coast.

His latest book is Lion’s Head Deception.

Visit his website at www.WriteByMeBooks.com

Thanks for letting us interrogate interview you!  Can you give us a go-for-the-gut answer as to why you wanted to be an author?

In looking back I realize I didn’t have a choice. I believe there are such things as plot bunnies (check Google). They have led me to characters whose stories just have to be told.

Tell us (we won’t tell promise!) is it all it’s cracked up to be?  I mean what are the perks and what are the demands?

Writing can be fun. Then, there’s the sweaty stuff, the editing and rewriting. Finally, I’ve never met an author who was prepared for the marketing.

Which route did you take – traditional or self-published – and can you give us the nitty gritty low down on what’s that like?

The publishing world is changing faster than the polar ice is melting. I decided to take responsibility for my own books. Since I slept through my English classes I make sure I have a good editor to rely on. I’ve been lucky to have some great cover designers. That said, I’m not sorry I chose indie publishing. The rewards are mine, and the mistakes…well, they’re mine as well.

What’s the snarkiest thing you can say about the publishing industry (e.g. rejections, the long wait, etc.)

I’m at that age where I couldn’t wait. I wanted to see my books in print in my lifetime. The rest I leave to my heirs.

Tell us for real what your family feels about you spending so much time getting your book written, polished, edited, formatted, published, what have you?

My biggest supporter is my wife of over 44 years. She not only encourages me, she has the uncanny ability to nag me to keep writing, just when I’m about to give up. Besides my wife I am fortunate to have extended family who believes in me and my writing.

At least that’s what they tell me to my face.

What was the craziest or insane thing that happened to you in the book publishing process?

The first was a mistake. I picked basic cover templates for my first book. The good thing was being able to correct it. The insane part was having someone who I never met before actually buy a book. It was a good thing because I was running out of family and friends.

How about the social networks?  Which ones do you believe help and which ones do you wish you could avoid?

Social networks can’t be ignored. I have absolutely no idea how I have as many followers as I do. Okay, Facebook and Twitter are almost fun, mixed in with news about family and friends. I do more, but in my next life I’m coming back wealthy enough to hire someone to do my social network marketing.

Book sales.  Don’t you just love them (or lack of?)?  How are you making the sales happen for you?

Marketing can be fun and painful. I’m working on such a limited budget (as in hardly any) that I use sweat equity. I’m putting some money into  Lion’s Head Deception hoping to see best seller sales figures (or any sales figures for that matter). I’m reaching out with radio interviews, Facebook parties, and a virtual book tour and stopping strangers carrying books. I figure I might as well give them my card.

I like book fares and personal contact with potential readers. That may not result in skyrocket sales, but it’s fun to talk to new readers.

What is one thing you’d like to jump on the rooftop and scream about?

It’s hearing back from readers that this is my best novel yet.

Okay, too much sugar for you today!  Here’s a nice cup of Chamomile tea and come on over and sit under the cabana and watch the waves roll in.  Now…can you tell us what you love about being a published author and how all those things above doesn’t matter because it’s all part of the whole scheme of things and you wouldn’t have it any other way?

First, I would trade the Chamomile tea for a cold Corona. I’m fortunate to live where it’s only a ten minute drive to the beach and watching the waves can be hypnotic. If we were sitting there I would confess that the best part of being a published author is give a big raspberry to a certain jerk that told me once I would never be a writer.

Does any of it matter in the grand scheme of things?  I’m reminded of a saying in Spanish that represents my thinking. Salud, pesetas, amor y el tiempo para gozar.

Health, wealth, love, and the time to enjoy them.

Thanks for having me for the interview.

No comments: